Monday 12 March 2012

Further Inquiry...

Going with the inquiry line of using my dance and performance background to help me create a pathway for a career in primary education, these are a few questions I have asked myself and have also re-worded them to ask some colleagues of mine who have been in similar situations in that they have trained in a specific hobby and applied it to a career in education. I'll will be blogging soon with their response, but for now, here are some questions that came to mind for myself.

Will this knowledge and training be valuable to a primary school? If so, how?
I feel that at such a young age, it can be easy for children to become bored with school or attatch themselves to the stigma that it 'is rubbish' and that they have to go rather than wanting to go. Obviously, their whole school day wont involve making up dances and singing and dancing but i feel it is important to encorporate this in their way of learning. A lot of schools will generally allow after school clubs and PE to involve dance and drama classes, but how about using it as part of a learning curve as well? Having them research and make up plays about a specific topic, or for the younger ones, learning with simple sing-a-longs. Allowing children to express themselves through dance and movement. Of course, having a specific knowledge always helps in the PE classes and can help the childrens general fitness as well as giving them a specific one such as how to perform a 'technical' move. Its also a great tool to have come the themed holidays such as Christmas and Easter and being able to perform in school assemblies, it helps the children with public speaking and can prepare them for the next stage in their lives wether that be high school or an activity outside of school-it will all help boost their confidence in life.

Can the children gain anything?
The benefit of having a qualified dance teacher and gymnastics coach on a schools faculty is that I would be able to award the children with official badges and certificates and help enter them into any local competitions, festivals, community projects, or if the child wanted to progress further, recommend different classes specifically for this sport.

Do I need further qualifications to obtain a role in a primary school? If so, what and how can I achieve them?
In some cases no, I have lots of experience of working with children and was able to secure a job in London as a teacheing assistance off my experience alone. However, since moving back, I have filled out numerous application forms, been to only 2 interviews but been successful in neither. Upon requesting feedback, it was simply because I did not have the piece of paper to state I was qualified as a TA. There are a few options available to me to progress frther in a career in a education. I can enrol on a local college course and do a home study course which will give me that piece of paper needed to prove I have the ability to work with children. Ive looked into a few of these courses but this unortunately wont be something I can afford the time to do at the same time as this BAPP course. Upon completion of this course, there is then the option of a GTP course, which will allow me to train to be a teacher whilst working in the school, having their support and advise throughout. This would be the more ideal option for me as I feel i would gain a lot more experience, but from what i ave learnt is getting harder and harder to be accepted onto one of these courses, or indeed find a school who has funding to do so. I would also like to gain a first aid qualification for any emergecies.

Can dance and performing arts be enjoyable for both boys and girls in an education setting where they do not 'choose' to go?
I feel that at such a young age, both boys and girls will do whatever they will see as fun! I feel it is important to introduce this creativity into their lives at a young age so there have a basis for a fair opinion from their own experiences. Of course, we cant expect all children to like and enjoy everything they do at school, but i think there is a huge variety of activities under the dance and drama umbrella that children can become involved in whilst at primary school.

Will it be costly for the school? Equipment etc...?
I feel that to engage the children in dance and drama, minimal equipment costs are needed. If we were looking at broadening things by introducing gymnastics as well, smaller equipment would help such as mats, hoops and bean bags, all of which a primary school generally has anyway. If the school were interested in hiring a dance and drama teacher or a gymnastics coach for an hour at a time for PE or after school club, they could be looking at the person charging a large amount for just an hour, whereas if the person is already employed by the school and on a regular salary they have the benefits of being able to encorporate these classes into their everyday learning.

Will it be a sustainable career for myself and my future?
I recently moved back from London as I am due to get married, we have now just bought a house and the next step for us will be to have our own children. Before we get to that big step in our lives though, I want to know that i have security in a job and a career that i am comfortable with and enjoy. If i were to get a job in a primary school, i would feel confident that i would always be gaining experience ad learning new things and hopefully progressing within the sector. I understand that funding for schools can sometimes mean cut's in the assistant department which is why i will strive to gain a full teachers qualification within the next few years.

Could this help involve the community more in their understanding of dance and drama and the creativity of it?
Yes! I have a few times now involved myself in community out reach programmes teaching dnce and gymnastics to children who may not have had the opportunity to go to any private training classes before. Working with the school it could be a great idea to bring other schools together as would a netball or football tournament. It would mean the children are able to voice and show their skills to a wider audience, all the while, improving their confidence in meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment